Every now and then, we go on search for a quick, healthy bread recipe to add the list of “things to bake”. This one has been one of our ultimate favourites, it is moist, it’s tasty and it requires minimal mixing and cleanup.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup oats
- 1⅓ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ¾ cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- Position rack in middle of oven; preheat to 180°C. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with coconut oil or butter. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon oats in the pan. Tip the pan back and forth to coat the sides and bottom with oats.
- Thoroughly stir together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Using a fork, beat the remaining 1 cup oats, yogurt, egg, oil and honey in a medium bowl until well blended. Stir in milk. Gently stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture just until thoroughly incorporated but not overmixed. Immediately scrape the batter into the pan, spreading evenly to the edges. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon oats over the top.
- Bake the loaf until well browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. (It’s normal for the top to crack.) Let stand in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a table knife around and under the loaf to loosen it and turn it out onto the rack. Let cool until barely warm, about 45 minutes.